Tuesday, March 20, 2018

If I had a Horse by Gianna Marino –OPTIONAL

Marino, Gianna If I had a Horse. PICTURE BOOK. Neal Porter (Macmillan), 2018. $18. 9781626729087

A little girl meets a horse –she feeds it an apple, hugs it until it lets it ride her, learns to ride, and together they can do anything. Filled with extra large and bright watercolor illustrations.

I was SO excited to see a book in my pile by this author/illustrator (one of my favorites) –but I didn’t care for this one. It was somehow very pre-k in text yet older in wordplay. I did like that illustrations are gorgeous and completely lack detail so a child could see themselves as well as any horse they might image –in the imagery. I probably would not spend money on adding this to my collection.

PRE-K– OPTIONAL.  Stephanie, Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: