Tuesday, March 20, 2018

I got it! By David Wiesner –NOT RECOMMENDED

Wiesner, David I Got It! PICTURE BOOK. Clarion (HMH), 2018. $18. 9780544309029

An nearly wordless book this story features kids at a baseball game. The main character is a boy in a red shirt, he goes to catch the baseball and misses. Then a series of alternative scenarios (?) began such as the same boy trying to catch a giant ball, the boy becoming miniature, and the boy hitting a tree branch. Features large harmonious illustrations.

Sometimes David Wiesner is one of my favorite author/illustrators and sometimes his work is just plain confusing and bizarre.  If you think of this as a moment in time, right before a catch, it sort of makes sense in a strange way but I think it will leave young readers incredibly confused without explanation. Despite my adoration of wordless books,  I wouldn’t add this my library.

EL(K-3) – NO.  Stephanie, Elementary School Librarian and Author

No comments: