Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Ants (Just Like Us) by Bridget Heos -OPTIONAL

Heos, Bridget Ants (Just Like Us) PICTURE BOOK. HMH, 2017.  $15.
This book features tons of information about ants presented in the format of comparing them to humans. Such as living in communities, working at jobs, families, eating food, farming, dangers, building bridges, and more. Lots of busy cartoon illustrations and some photographs fill each page to the brim.
The text of the book is absolutely fascinating and just perfect for to engage student’s readers, I am now stuffed with amazing facts I didn’t know before I read this. The illustrations seemed overly busy to me and I worry that younger student readers might actually believe what is in them because it’s a non-fiction book. For example the underground colony illustration features human building underground. I would recommend this for 2nd graders, who are old enough to read it on their own and understand that the illustrations are just for fun. The cover is dark and so busy that its unappealing.  

EL(K-3) –OPTIONAL.  Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: