Saturday, July 30, 2016

It was so Quiet I could hear a Pin drop by Andy Goodman -ADVISABLE

Goodman, Andy It was so Quiet I could hear a Pin drop Princeton Architectural Press (McEvoy Group), 2016.  $15.95.  PICTURE BOOK
A child in a tree swing listens to the breeze. At first s/he hears noises that are possible, like Kites and bees, and a watch. But the sounds increasingly become less normal, like elephants, cannons, and more.
After a read-through I thought this book was very strange, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. First off, there just aren’t enough books that focus on sounds, which is a great lesson for younger readers in a school library. Second its really interesting progression from identifying the sounds you hear to making up guesses for what sounds you don’t recognize could possibly be. I like that the answers get creative at this point, which is a great example of an exercise that would be fun to do with students, outside maybe. I bet they would come up with some very funny and creative answers. Great for lessons on sounds, imagination, creativity, and listening.

EL(K-3) –ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: