Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Mayday by Jonathan Friesen - NO

Friesen, Jonathan Mayday, 296 pgs. Speak (Penguin Group), 2014. Language - PG (18 swears, 0 "f"), Sexual Content - PG-13; Violence - PG; 

Crow promised to protect her little sister, Addy, when their dad left, but she failed to do so and is now dying. In her comatose state, Crow enters limbo and gets a chance to right things in the past. However, the problems she goes to fix might not be the ones that need fixing. 

This was not the story I was expecting and it wasn't as good as the one I wanted to read. I did like that Crow's story wasn't a typical travel-back-in-time story where changing anything ends up being dramatic. Yes, changing the past has consequences, but I like that the changes didn't cause extremes later because they often don't. That felt more real to me as I read. However, Crow's purpose and self-assigned mission just wasn't very exciting for me as a reader. The story was missing intrigue and failed to keep me engaged. 

HS - NO. Reviewer: Carolina Herdegen

No comments: