Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Magic Trap (The Lemonade Wars #5) by Jaqueline Davies –ADVISABLE

Davies, Jaqueline The Magic Trap (The Lemonade Wars #5) 272 pgs, HMH Books for Young Readers, 2014. $15.99
Jessie and Evan’s mom needs to go out of town on business, and their father (who has been out of the picture for quite a while) shows up just in time to babysit them for a week. The kids are very excited to spend time with their dad, because its been years since they have seen him. But he is more interested in his phone, and when he does get involved its not so great, like breaking rules their mom has set up, buying a rabbit and leaving in his trunk on a hot day, and cutting a hole into their front porch. Evan is pretty excited about hosting a magic show and Jessie does her best to help out, but when their Dad leaves them alone, right before a hurricane, will it ruin everything? The siblings are in danger, and must rely on each other.
I had a hard time getting through the first half of the story, like many students at my school, I don’t much care for realistic fiction. I worried myself sick about these kids, which means I was reading this book as a grownup, not from a kids perspective. Then the last half of the book is very adventurous and action packed and I ended up really liking the story. Its well rounded and the author really is a master of realistic fiction. I recommend this whole series for your library.
EL  –ADVISABLE Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian

No comments: