Monday, December 15, 2014

How the world was: A California Childhood by Emmanuel Guibert –NOT RECOMMENDED

Guibert, Emmanuel How the world was: A California Childhood GRAPHIC NOVEL 160 pgs. First Second, 2014. $15.99 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G
This graphic novel is the biographical account of the childhood of World War II Veteran named Alan Cope. Its told in autobiographical format. Alan grew up in pre-War California and this documents his family, his birth, and his early childhood.
This was a horrendous read, incredibly dry and boring and darkly illustrated. It also included some odd moments in his life that I really wish hadn't been shared, such as a penis cleaning. I usually like biographies/autobiographies but even from a historical perspective this book didn’t include anything of interest. I will say this would be a fantastic read if this man was your relative, for example I would love to see my grandmothers childhood put into graphic novel format, those mundane details becoming interesting ONLY because I care about her and my own heritage.

Adult, HS -NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: