Thursday, September 18, 2014

On the Wing by David Elliott –NO



Elliott, David On the Wing 32 pgs. Candlewick, 2014. $16.95 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G. POETRY
A collection of poetry and illustrations about a variety of birds. Each double page spread features a bird in its habitat, such as the Australian Pelican, the Bald Eagle, and the Hummingbird. A poem is include that pays ode to its songs, its history, or its uniqueness.
I found the poetry to be a bit off putting. One spelling error, which changed the meaning, but mostly just some odd vocabulary that wouldn’t work for elementary. Some of the poems were great but most weren’t, especially the one for puffins and macaws. I also didn’t care for the illustrations, which overall were really dreary and drab with muted colors and a soft brush stroke. I kept feeling like my eyes were out of focus. I wouldn't add this to my library.
EL(K-3). EL   -NO  Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: