Monday, August 25, 2014

When I grow up I want to be…a Teacher by Wigu Publishing–NO

Wigu Publishing When I grow up I want to be…a Teacher 60 pgs. Wigu Publishing, 2013. $12.99. Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G.
Carlee wants to be a teacher, but then her mom starts to teach at her school, she is worried others students will make fun of her or dislike her because of how they feel about her mom. She starts to think about other professions. By the end of the day she will find out what everyone thinks of her mom, and how she has let peer pressure color her decisions.
When I want a career book for the library, I want it to play up what makes that job unique and interesting. This book title is very misleading. The plot is more about peer pressure, but the story to get there is very convoluted. As the main character considers other jobs, there are inserts, as if from a boring textbook, about a variety of topics, ugh! The illustrations are sort of hideous and creeped me out Big Time.

EL - NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: