Thursday, June 12, 2014

Game Over, Pete Watson by Joe Schreiber –NO

Schreiber, Joe Game Over, Pete Watson 224 pgs. HMH Books for Young Readers, 2014. $16.99 Content: Language: G (0 Swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G.
Pete has carefully saved up enough money for the newest version of his favorite video game, but when he goes to buy it, his mom has borrowed some of his funds without asking. When Pete holds an impromptu garage sale, selling his dad’s old game console, it sets off a dangerous chain reaction including but not limited to: his dad being morphed into a game, a giant mechanical cockroach, the president coming to see him, and an impending cyber attack. Will Pete and his friends be able to save the world with their video game skills? Pete might just have to join his dad inside the game to save him.
First off I think students will be drawn to the cover, pixilated old school game characters. But the story was so over the top that it became cheesy in a captain underpants kind of way. I think every child that enjoys video games loves to image if they could be in the video game, it’s a great concept, just not in this book. I found I didn't enjoy the humor since it felt like such a farce. This is my third review of a book by this author, and I think I am quite done. 

Elementary –NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: