Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Benjamin Franklin (Giants of Science Series) by Kathleen Krull –ESSENTIAL

Krull, Kathleen and Illustrated by Kulikoy, Boris  Benjamin Franklin (Giants of Science Series) 128 pgs. Viking Juvenile, 2013. $15.99  Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G; Violence: G.
A basic biography of Benjamin Franklin created for upper elementary students.
Yes, that was my summary because the rest is my opinion. This is one of the best biographies for students I have read, it is extremely well written for its target age group. It is patient and explains complex topics in a very understandable manner. It is also interesting and exciting and infusion with personality. There are fun facts and a best of all a focus on Franklin’s hard work and a never-ending curiosity. My only woe is I wanted illustrations, I think student would too! When the author describes how Franklin is mis-represented as always being elderly, even in depictions of early experiments, well I want a visual! Students will want to see what the city he grew up in looked like and a printing press. Can we combine this with a DK book? Pretty Please?

EL – ESSENTIAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: