Friday, September 28, 2012

Ted Williams by Matt Tavares - ADVISABLE


Tavares, Matt There Goes Ted Williams: The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived.  Candlewick, 2012.  $17.  PICTURE BOOK.  

Despite being interrupted by two major wars, Ted Williams carved out an impressive career in baseball.  From a small boy who was determined to practice his batting every day, to a 17 year old who was wooed by the majors and on for more than 20 years.  Ted’s personality may have rubbed some people the wrong way, but his work ethic and his hitting ability made him the greatest hitter ever.  

I have heard men talking about Ted Williams, but I have never had enough information to care one way or another.  This book almost makes me a fan.  Now I at least know why Ted is considered to be so great.  I know a couple of baseball fans that will be receiving this for a gift!  And I know there are lots of baseball crazy kids who will also enjoy getting the scoop on Williams.  When you consider that he accomplished what he did through lots and perseverance and not through drugs, it really is amazing , commendable and admirable.  

EL, MS – ADVISABLE.  Cindy, Library Teacher

1 comment:

Karen Lange said...

Thanks for the info and review on this book. I may check it out for my nephew.

Thanks also for stopping by my blog. It's great to meet you!