Thursday, July 5, 2012

Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage - ESSENTIAL

Turnage, Sheila.  Three Times Lucky, 312 pages.  Dial Books for Young Readers (Penguin), 2012.  $16.99.  Language: PG (2 swears and a nonsexual reference to boobs); Sexual Content: G; Violence: PG.  Even before I summarize this book, I have to say that I loved it.  It took me a few pages to get into it, but once I did, I found it charming.  What happens is that Mo washed ashore as a baby during a hurricane eleven years ago, and she has lived with the Colonel and Miss Lana ever since.  Mo's and her best friend, Dale Earnhardt Johnson III, are hoping to have a good summer in the small town of Tupelo Landing, North Carolina.  But everything turns crazy when Detective Joe Starr comes from the big city and a murder follows, shaking things up even more.  Mo and Dale decide to try to solve the crime.  Like I said, this was a great book.  Mo was hilarious and all of the small-town characters were loveable.  I did tell my six year-old son that he is several years away from wanting to read a book like this (no monsters), but I think this book would have an audience because it truly is a delight to read.   EL, MS - ESSENTIAL.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

I have such trouble with anything quirky and Southern that this didn't charm me. I may have to take another look at it.