Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle –NOT RECOMMENDED


 Doyle, Roddy A Greyhound of a Girl 208 pgs. Amulet Books, 2012. $12.10.  (Rating: G)
Mary's grandmother is dying. One day walking home she runs into a mysterious woman, who it turns out, is the ghost of her grandmother’s mother, and she has a message. The point of view switches often, from Mary to her mother, to her grandmother, and her ghostly great-grandmother. Together they face the ending of life and get to know one another better.
My curiosity about the ghost component of this book kept me reading but overall this book was uninteresting. I appreciate the shifting points of view; it allowed me to know the characters. But without guidance, students would be totally lost or quickly lose interest. But either I missed the boat (the lesson) or there wasn’t one that was profound enough to strike me.
MS–NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie MLS graduate & Author.

No comments: