Monday, November 21, 2011

Chanukah Lights by Michael J. Rosen - OPTIONAL

Rosen, Michael J.  Chanukah Lights, pop-ups by Robert Sabuda Candlewick Press, 2011. $34.99.  INTERACTIVE BOOK.  

For each of the eight nights of Chanukah, this book depicts a time in Jewish history when Jews might have celebrated the miracle of the lamp burning for eight days in the Temple.  Unfortunately, I do not know how to begin reviewing this book.  As a non-Jew who grew up in the New York Metropolitan Area I always felt as if I am not Jewish illiterate, but I still did not know very much about each of the stories depicted on the pages.  I didn't have enough background knowledge to get much out of the book.  I do not know for sure, but it appears to be written specifically to a Jewish audience, who would know about the stories discussed.  And yet, it is an absolutely beautiful book.  The text is understated and great, and the pop-ups are absolutely spectacular.  I could look at each page forever, to see the intricacies and attention to detail.  However, perhaps I appear ignorant but I do not know for sure if it is a good choice for a gift, but I do know for sure it does not have a general audience that belongs on every library shelf in the world.  But it is something to consider as a gift for a very specific family or group of people.  

Pre-K, EL (K-3), EL, MS - Optional.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher

No comments: