Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Otis and the Tornado by Loren Long - OPTIONAL

Long, Loren. Otis and the Big Tornado Philomel Books, 2011. $17.99. PICTURE BOOK.  Otis is a tractor.  He and the other farm animals often go marching around the property, playing Follow the Leader.  But when they come to the bull's pen, they must endure snarls and snorts.  He glares at them while he flares nostrils; he doesn't like anyone.    I cannot say strongly enough just how disappointed I was with this book.  The illustrations are wonderful and it looks like it is going to be a great book.  But then I read it, and I said to myself, "Where's the dialogue?"  It's not there.  Only one sentence of dialogue in the entire picture book.  I don't know how Ms. Long expected us to see the characters clearly.  Without dialogue, I found the book boring and forgettable.  Some might like it; so I will say it is optional to buy, but you might spend your money elsewhere--there are a lot of books out there.  Pre-K, EL(K-3), EL - OPTIONAL.  Brent Smith, Reading Teacher



No comments: