Friday, February 25, 2011

Ortega by Maureen Fergus


Fergus, Maureen Ortega, 224 pgs. Kids Can Press, 2010. Language - PG (5 swears, 0 "f"), Sexual Content - PG; Violence - PG; Ortega is a scientific experiment to see if gorillas can be like and understand as much as humans. He has grown up in the lab learning tricks to get what he wants or else punish Dr. Whitmore, the mean head of the research facility.. Things get more complicated when Ortega is forced to ho to school. HUMAN school. Now he doesn't just have to worry about Dr. Whitmore, but what the eleven-year-olds think of him. How should he act? Who does he hang out with? Why aren't there any snack breaks before lunch? Ortega is in way over his hairy head. I really enjoyed reading Ortega. It was interesting to read about a scientific research project and how our society treats others. As a student in a new school myself, I know that a lot of things can be different and hard, but at least there aren't people protesting my going to school or into movie theaters! Friendship plays an important role in school and life and I like how Ortega learns this important lesson friends. It was a very different experience for me reading and learning from the point of view of a gorilla who is learning human ways and yet still yearning to act on his instincts. It gave me a new look on things. MS, HS - ADVISABLE. Reviewer: CCH

No comments: