Saturday, January 13, 2007

My Life Starring Mum by Chloe Rayban - OPTIONAL

Rayban, Chloe My Life Starring Mum 279 p. Bloomsbury -

 EL, MS - OPTIONAL

Holly's mum is the famous British singer Khandi. When a threat against Holly shows up, she is whisked away from her school and her friends to a high-security hotel where her mother alternately ignores her or tries to turn Holly into a younger version of herself.

 The story moves very quickly, keeping the reader's interest, until the very end, where it abruptly sputters and dies mid-stream. This has happened in so many books that I have read that I wonder if authors have lost the art of the denouement. There is absolutely no resolution, only a short, unsatisfying reunion scene, with a flippant end. Despite that, I think younger readers will enjoy Holly's life and adventure and are probably not knowledgeable enough to be frustrated by the ending. There are five clunky, unnecessary uses of swear words, though.


No comments: