Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Finding Christmas by Lezlie Evans –OPTIONAL

Evans, Lezlie Finding Christmas 32 pgs. Albert Whitman, 2017.  $17. PICTURE BOOK

This is the story of three animal friends getting ready for Christmas. One of them discovers an injured and freezing bird in the woods and the trio bring it home. They will have to give up their Christmas presents to each other in order to help the bird recover. There are sweet illustrations with harmonious colors. 

Overall I liked this story, but the writing was short of off for me, kind of awkward. I am not sure younger readers will understand a gift exchange. Additionally there is an illustration of two birds outside in the cold, while they are trying to heal the bird inside, which will be confusing to younger readers as well. I like the message of helping others but I can honestly image a child hearing this story then feeling extra horrible as their family walks past a homeless person without dragging them home, giving them all their presents, and having a party together. At least that is how I would have felt as a child.

EL(K-3) -OPTIONAL.  Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: