Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Goodnight, Hockey Fans by Andrew Larsen - ADVISABLE

Larsen, Andrew Goodnight, Hockey Fans, illustrated by Jacqui Lee. PICTURE BOOK. Kids Can Press, 2017. $16.99. 

A young hockey fan spends the evening watching a hockey game on TV with his family, but must go to bed before the game is over. After being tucked in bed, he pulls out an old radio and tunes in to hear the play-by-play. As he drifts off to sleep, he dreams he subs into the game, himself, and scores a goal. 

I have a peculiar love for this book that I cannot fully explain. Its a simple book with a classic feel, and it made me so happy and nostalgic for a childhood winter that I probably never had but just saw in movies. I love the quiet feel of the story, the calming color scheme in the illustrations and I want my kids to love hockey so I have more reasons to read this book. I think adults and kids who love hockey (or sports in general) will love this book; everyone else can enjoy it for the nice story that it is. 

Pre-K, EL (K-3)--ADVISABLE. Reviewer: TC

No comments: