Friday, September 1, 2017

Bad Guy by Hannah Barnaby -OPTIONAL

Barnaby, Hannah Bad Guy, PICTURE BOOK. Simon, 2017.  $18.
Top Notch illustrations follow the story of a little boy who is a self-professed bad guy. He eats astronauts, captures superheroes, and even runs the sheriff out of town. He is pretty good at the library but it’s only because he is concentrating on reading books to help out his bad guy skills. But this little boy thinks only guys can be bad, but he has another thing coming.
This book has incredibly darling and sharable illustrations! While I love a good bad guy (or gal) I didn’t like how unrepentant he was –‘bad guys don’t say they are sorry’, is not a great lesson for young readers. While the ending is really funny, I think working with children every day has made the whole ‘I can do what I want, when I want, to who I want’ behavior in children –not so funny to me.  

PRE-K, EL(K-3)–OPTIONAL.  Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: