Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Bugs (Animal Planet Chapter books #3) by James Buckley, Jr. –NO

Buckley Jr, James Bugs (Animal Planet Chapter books #3) 112 pgs. Liberty Street (Time Inc, Books), 2017. $14.99 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G
This book feature a plethora of information about insects told in a chapter book format. There are short chapters on many facets of insects from insect senses, movement, diet, life cycles, and more. Each page has a fun neon green border and tons of color imagery.
If I added this book to the library collection I would hear from a teacher within a month I should not be promoting calling insects 'bugs' in an educational setting. Sp right off the bat, I had a poor impression of this book. Next, I found pages four, six, and seven all start with the same sentence (with minute variations) “There are nearly 1 million know species of insects.” The transitions inside of the chapters are very abrupt and I was often confused if I was still reading about the same creature or it has suddenly switched (a big problem with this format vs a more standard non-fiction sub-heading format). An insect loving third grader would love this as a gift, but I wouldn’t add it to my library.

EL(K-3) –NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: