Thursday, February 16, 2017

Dog Man Unleased by Dav Pilkey - ADVISABLE

Pilkey, Dav  Dog Man Unleashed, 220 pgs. GRAPHIC NOVEL Graphix, 2017 (Scholastic).  $9.99  Content: G.  

Dog Man has the body of a man and the head of a dog which causes him problems when he can’t control his animal instincts.  When the villain, a cat named Petey, is impersonated in town Dog Man is sent to investigate.  The story line gets a bit complicated as the Police Chief’s evil fish, Flippy, takes some smart food and tries to steal from everyone.  Petey is upset that someone is pretending to be him and gets involved.  At one point there is also a paper version of Petey the cat.  Needless to say the villains all get their due, Dog Man saves the day.  

Heaven help me.  I realize as an adult I’m not the intended audience, but I cringed at the many misspelled words and strange sentence structures.  My eight year old son thinks this series is hilarious and I do think the story line is creative.  Rating it for libraries I think your kids will pick this up and love it, the English teacher in me is dying that this is considered reading material.  My biases aside, it will be a big hit especially among reluctant readers.  

EL (K-3) – ADVISABLE.  Reviewer, C. Peterson.     

No comments: