Friday, November 20, 2015

Everblaze (Keeper of the Lost Cities #3) by Shannon Messenger -OPTIONAL

Messenger, Shannon Everblaze (Keeper of the Lost Cities #3) 640 pgs. Aladdin, 2015. $8.00 Content: 

Content: G 

Technically our reviews are supposed to start with a summary. I will be honest here, I didn’t finish this book, so that’s not going to happen. I read the first two (very long) books in this series (and liked them), but quite a while ago, and a plethora of books in between. So that brings me to this staggering 640 page book. I read about 200 pages in and it was like a grand tour of character and plot element cameos, every single name I had almost forgotten. There was some worry over Sophie's Pegasus friend, some Ogre drama, and a trip back to her sanctuary school. Once you’re out of the author’s world some of the plot elements seem kind of silly and I felt myself filling with dread at finishing the next 400+ pages. I considered re-reading the first two, but after looking at how many pages that involved, I felt skeptical. That begs the bigger question, if I liked the first two books, why wouldn’t I be clambering for this next one? I guess I didn’t like them as much as I think I did. 

My final recommendation is kind of a cop-out, buy this book if the series is popular at your library, especially middle school. Consider not choosing this book for upper elementary because of its daunting length and complexity.


MS –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author

No comments: