Thursday, August 27, 2015

Jessica’s Box by Peter Carnavas -NO

Carnavas, Peter Jessica’s Box Kane Miller (EDC), 2008. $4.99 PICTURE BOOK
Jessica is new to school and eager to make friends. She comes with an idea to bring a box to school and surprise everyone with the contents. But no matter what she comes up with, its not enough to make a new friend, will Jessica give up?
The illustrations are simple and clean but the colors are kind of muted. I have been thinking about this book quite a bit before I wrote this review and decided that I think it sort of depressing no matter how you spin it, additionally because the main character is in a wheelchair. I may be reading into this too much from a grownup perspective but here is the lesson I perceived…No amount of creativity, tenacity, positive thoughts, or determination will help you make friends…only when you give up, give in, and go hide will friendship find you. Students readers may take a lighter view, but this book certainly makes me feel heavy and sad and I will not be adding it to my school library.
EL(K-3)  –NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: