Friday, November 21, 2014

Revenge of Superstition Mountain (Book#3) by Elise Broach – NO

Broach, Elise Revenge of Superstition Mountain (Book#3) 304 pgs. Henry Holt and Co, 2014. $16.99 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: PG Violence: G.
The final book of a trilogy, the three brothers and their friend Delilah uncover more mysteries about the gold of superstition mountain. The most worrying thing they find out is that the gold is cursed, and they must return the small handful of flakes to the mine, which has been covered by a rockslide, or risk being hurt by this curse. Their return to the mountain is action packed and full of adventure and life-or-death danger.
I really want to like this series, the idea of ghost town/wild west/desert gold treasure mystery. But there have been some ongoing problems for me. Although the plot is great for say, 4th graders, the vocabulary can be very intense at times (sometimes featuring words I don’t even know!). In the first two books there was some adult type talk I found somewhat inappropriate and in this third book there is content about men who are “Players” that precludes me from adding this to my collection (which means I have to pull the first two books as well). Additionally the big time lying and sneaking around has grown to epic proportions, as the children are almost drowned and blown up. I have had to pull this whole set from my library so I can’t recommend it.  
EL – NO Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.


No comments: