Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Story of Owen by E.K. Johnston –OPTIONAL

Johnston, E.K.  The Story of Owen 312 pgs. Carolrhoda Books, 2014. $17.95 Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: PG.
Siobhan and Owen are normal teenagers  that they live our modern day world, but in this story Dragons have always existed. The dragons have always been a pest, all through out history, but with the introduction of carbon fumes to our society, they are even more dangerous, as they love the stuff. Owen is a dragon fighter in training, a family tradition, and his family has just moved to a small town in Canada. Siobhan finds herself using her musical skills to tell the stories of his skills in the field. Dragons in their area are not decreasing despite having their own dragon slaying family living in town, something awful is going on. Can two teenagers find out and stop it?
Sounds so exciting right? I couldn’t wait to pick up this book, yet I found it quite overly detailed in its attempt to repaint history with a thread of dragon involved. Even as I managed to read my way to the climax of the story, I found I didn’t care anymore what happened. I was glad to read a teen book without romance, swearing, and featuring responsible main characters. The author tries to do one of my favorite thing, adding multiple sub elements and plots like Siobhans musical knowledge, but they just don’t fit in cohesively.
HS –OPTIONAL  Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: