Monday, July 14, 2014

I Am Otter by Sam Garton -- ESSENTIAL

Garton, Sam I Am Otter. PICTURE BOOK. Balzer + Bray, 2014. $16.99. Content: G.

Otter loves living with his keeper. They play together every weekend and have the best time. Unfortunately, Keeper has to go to work each week, leaving the mischievous Otter to his own devices. Bored, Otter starts his own toast restaurant for all of his stuffed animals, but it doesn't go at all like he'd planned. The results are disastrous -- and hilarious.

This is a cute, original story, and the ending made me laugh out loud the first time I read it. It's the illustrations that really make the book, though. Not only are they adorable, but they are so full of rich detail that I notice new elements every time I read.

Pre-K, EL (K-3) -- ESSENTIAL. Reviewer: Caryn

No comments: