Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Hexed by Michelle Krys - NO

Krys, Michelle Hexed, 369 p. Delacorte (Random), 2014.  $18.  Language: R (100+ swears, 0 ‘f’); Violence: PG-13 (some violent deaths); Mature Content:  PG-13 (drinking, implied sex).  

Indigo’s mother may own a Wiccan store, but Indigo manages to keep things normal.  Until the boy drops out of the sky in front of her car – dead.  Until she finds her boyfriend in bed with her former best friend.  Until she is confronted by a insane sorcerer (yes – they do exist), who wants her dead.  Until said sorcerer brutally murders Indigo’s mother.  Now the not-so-dead boy needs to help her unlock her newly discovered witch powers so that she can at least stay alive, not to mention perhaps get revenge on her mother’s murderer.  

After I suffered through 40 pages of absolutely nothing happening (not the first 40 pages), and more pages of self-important maunderings by the witch boy who becomes aloof mentor and then love interest for Indigo, I seriously asked myself why I was persisting with this book.  Up until the very end I kept hoping for something that would emotionally tie me to this.  But I couldn’t.  I feels like a single episode of a new CW witchy tv show.  Maybe that’s what it’s meant to be.  But in that case, it should be about 100 pages shorter and in paperback.  And I think Charmed already did it all.  

NOT RECOMMENDED.  Cindy, Library Teacher. 

No comments: