Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Otis Dooda: Strange but True by Ellen Potter –ADVISABLE

Potter, Ellen and Illustrated by Heatley, David  Otis Dooda: Strange but True 240 pgs. Feiwel & Friends, 2013. $13.99  

Content: G.

This is the story of one week in the life of a boy named Otis Dooda. His family has just moved to New York city and right away strange things start to happen. There is some person in a plant in the lobby who predicts the future for you, a bad one, if you don’t provide a treat. There is a horse with a gas problem being passed off as a dog. Otis tries to figure out how to escape his ‘person in the plant’ predicted fate of breaking every bone in his body and finds some new friends to help.

I honestly dreaded reading this book. Full of potty humor, goofy artwork and off the wall plots, I put this at the bottom of my stack. But I was wrong, not about the contents, but the hilarity. This book made me laugh harder than a book has in years. I was cracking up so much I had to set the book down to contain myself. The author just has this way with the comedic timing, and the art only adds to it. This is a 'totally for fun' read for any reluctant reader who enjoys similar books like Captain Underpants, but this is way better!!!

EL (K-3), EL –ADVISABLE 

Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: