Sunday, February 2, 2014

Don’t Chicken Out (Not-So Ordinary Girl#3) by Shawn K. Stout –OPTIONAL

Stout, Shawn K.  Don’t Chicken Out  (Not-So Ordinary Girl#3) 168 pgs. Aladdin, 2013. $15.99  Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G Violence: G.
Fiona hears ‘No’ a lot from grownups. She decides she must act like a grown-up if she wants to be treated like one. She finds this to be challenging. But eventually she lands a dog walking job. Turns out there is a boy that walks his chickens at the same time, and the pets become friends. Will Fiona help her new friend into some big trouble at the Ordinary Fair?
Of the first three books this is my favorite, but I still found it to be quirky confusing -just like the title. There are chickens in the book, but nothing requiring the need to not chicken out. I think students find the plot confusing as well. I think the lesson in the end is taking responsibility, but I sort of think she does that throughout the book. I don’t think Fiona ever really makes a connection with the Chicken walking kid or helps us to understand him (and the teasing he gets) any better. I won’t be adding any of this series to my school library.

EL (K-3), EL –OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: