Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Midwinter Blood by Marcus Sedwick –NOT RECOMMENDED


Sedwick, Marcus Midwinter Blood 336 pgs. Roaring Book Press, 2013 (American Edition). $17.99.  Content: Language: G (0 swears);  Mature Content: PG13 ;  Violence: PG13.
A mysterious island, rumors of a special dragon flower that grants eternal life: Eric is a reporter who is curious and loves to explore. He quickly falls into the slow pace of life on the island, forgoing his search and writing. What unfolds is the latest in a repeating saga of a bond between two ancient lovers, who are so close yet so far apart.
I have heard that good art makes its viewer (reader) feel “something”. This book didn't fail on that account. Those it sounds epic, I couldn't find anything redeeming about the struggle of the lovers to reconnect throughout time, constantly thwarted by an enemy. Grim, Cold, Dark, and at times Gruesome – I really wish I just hadn't read this book. The island setting itself made me feel claustrophobic and tired. So yes, I did feel -but it was something I didn't like at all. I wouldn't want to wish those feelings on emotional unstable teenagers either.  
HS –NOT RECOMMENDED Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian & Author.

No comments: