Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Tangle of Knots by Lisa Graff –OPTIONAL


Graff, Lisa A Tangle of Knots 240 pgs. Philomel, 2013. $12.45.  Content: Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G ; Violence: G.

This book takes place in a world where most everyone has a talent, they range from mundane to magical. Cady is an orphan with a talent for baking just the right cake for the right person. Luckily the woman that runs the orphanage has a talent for finding just the right home for the right orphan. Cady is not sure so that she has found the right home at the lost luggage emporium. Other stories are also told as well, from differing viewpoints, but everything starts to come together at the lost luggage emporium!

I adored Double Dog Dare by this author. But for this book, I quickly started to feel like I was in the middle of a teacher required class assignment that was far from magical. The viewpoint switching didn't allow me to get to know the characters or invest in the outcome, I felt very apathetic about the whole thing. For student readers I think it would be a bit hard to sort out those viewpoints and to stick with reading without guided instruction.

EL - OPTIONAL Reviewer: Stephanie Elementary School Librarian, Author.

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

This is how I felt about this book as well, but I did have a student who enjoyed the ARC. For magical baking, I enjoyed the Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop with it's evil and adventure!

Stephanie said...

Thank Ms. Yingling, I will have to look into that book suggestion!