Friday, February 18, 2011

I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History’s Strangest Cures by Carlyn Beccia


Beccia, Carlyn. I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History’s Strangest Cures.  Houghton Mifflin Books for Children, 2010. $17.99. Content G-Picture/non-fiction book. Beccia tells  about and old world where modern medicine doesn’t exist and people come up with strange cures for common ailments.  Through modern science some of these remedies have been proven to be true while others debunked.  I liked the setup of this non-fiction book. It showed three possible cures for say, a sore throat, on one page and then the following three pages had beautiful illustrations and the scientific explanation as to why that cure would or would not work. This book is great for little curious minds and also older curious minds. I learned things about old cures that I never knew before. ESSENTIAL, ES, MS. Shauna, Reading teacher.

No comments: