Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Sky Inside by Clare Dunkle - ESSENTIAL


Dunkle, Clare The Sky Inside, 229 p. Atheneum (Simon), 2008.

 MS, HS - ESSENTIAL

Martin's world is perfect. Okay, maybe his genius little sister is annoying, but he still loves her. Life in his climate protected dome is safe and normal and pretty much without challenges. Then the day comes when the government sends someone to take away all of the children of his sister's generation, because of a defect in their genetic programming, promising to replace them if the parents want. The children go with the man, but then the government comes and no one is sure who they sent the children with. Now Martin has no problem deciding that he must go after his sister. I may mean leaving the dome. It may mean going against the governement and risking death, but Martin is determined. What is outside the dome? He won't know until he goes.

This is not my best review, because my 16 year old son took the book from me after I read it and I haven't seen it since. I insisted that I write Clare Dunkle and tell her that there had better be a sequel (there will be - thanks Clare). He adores it, just as I did. You may know Clare for her Hollow Kingdom Trilogy (if not - buy them now); she is just as good in science fiction! I could spend paragraphs in the various themes and depths of this expertly crafted writing, but I want you to discover it for yourself.

CINDY

No comments: